Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pharmacology Textbook or Flash Cards: I need a good Pharmacology Textbook other than medical textbooks online?

I have looked into books by Lilley, Lippincott, Bowman and Ritter. What I need right now is an alternative or supplementary source to the same, including e-textbooks and PDF downloads. Any recommendations I can use?Pharmacology Textbook or Flash Cards: I need a good Pharmacology Textbook other than medical textbooks online?
I would recommend Dr James Ross' Anatomy and Physiology textbook. It has a dedicated section on Drug Dosage, Therapy %26amp; Pharmacology that I still use as a medical reference and for clinical pharmacology study:



http://humananatomy.annics.com



Having used it for over 3 years, I've found this guide better than flash cards and easier to understand than 1000-page textbooks or online journals.



As an alternative (even complement) to your regular pharmacology textbooks, this guide provides all the requisite information about areas like:

* Drug Dosage and Therapy

* Oral and Maxillofacial pathology

* Pharmacology I

* Pharmacology II

* Principles of Epidemiology and MicrobiologyPharmacology Textbook or Flash Cards: I need a good Pharmacology Textbook other than medical textbooks online?
If you are looking for basic information about specific drugs, I find www.rxlist.com to be a very good source of accurate information. The site covers signs, symptoms, dose, mechanism of action, adverse side effects etc. If you are looking for straight pharmacology (covering classes of drugs rather than specific meds) I would be careful of anything you find online (e.g., Wikipedia is not where you want to get peer-reviewed, generally accepted pharmacology). There are few current textbooks available online for good reason. Money. Publishers of medical textbooks want to protect their product. The few books online are typically old. Textbooks I favor: Goodman %26amp; Gilman (of course), Ellenhorn's Medical Toxicology is quite good. Essentials in Psychopharmacology is another text with excellent chapters on pharmacology.Pharmacology Textbook or Flash Cards: I need a good Pharmacology Textbook other than medical textbooks online?
Check with your school's health sciences library. Very often they'll have online reference books available for their students. And I certainly agree that Goodman%26amp;Gilman's is an excellent pharmacology text. Yes you'll have to buy it (although your school might have the online version...), but it's money well spent if you're needing a reliable, accurate, and detailed text.



I did a quick google search to help you out and came up with the following link. As toxdoc mentioned, though, you should be very wary of free online pharmacology references, since some of them can be quite dated. Be especially wary of any listed dosing, as even highly reliable resources are often out-of-date by the time of printing.

http://www.freebookcentre.net/medical_te鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment