Saturday, February 4, 2012

Borrowing textbooks from the public school to help us homeschoool?

Just wondering.

My friend 9th grade, this semester is ending a week from tomorrow and she and I wants to be home schooled. I personally want to explore more than text books but she wants to know if its possible that we borrow textbooks from the school and use it to help her and her parents homeschool?



I suggested just calling the public school and ask them tomorrow. but yeah. She insist I asked Y!A for opinions and answers.Borrowing textbooks from the public school to help us homeschoool?
Some states do allow homeschoolers to check out their textbooks, and use their library and participate in extra curricular activities. These are the states where homeschooling is tightly regulated.

In other states, there is absolutely no relationship between homeschoolers and publicschoolers, and the answer is a definite no.

So, it depends on which state you live in whether that is true for your friend or not.
I suppose it is possible but I think unlikely.



Many schools do not really have enough books to go around as it is.



Where I worked, students could not take books out of my classroom because there were only enough for a single class period (I had to use the same books for several different courses everyday).



Plus, someone or several someones from that school will have to be responsible for the books you borrow and most are not going to want the extra burden.



I'd suggest you look into used textbooks if you want to use public school textbooks.



Just goodle it and you will find bunches of sources.Borrowing textbooks from the public school to help us homeschoool?
You'll have to ask. It's impossible to predict what the school will say. If you are considered a private school where you live when you are homeschooled, the chances aren't good.Borrowing textbooks from the public school to help us homeschoool?
Yes, she could contact the school to see if that would be possible, but there are probably better materials that she could use if her parents were open to purchasing them.



In addition, she could look for books at the local library and use the textbooks as a guide to decide what topics she wants to study.



Good luck to both of you!
It is possible.I am home schooled and I have the public school books.Be sure you keep up though and don't fall behind because it is sooo hard to catch up but it is really fun.I am also in 9th grade.
Some school districts do have that option, but in that case you are still enrolled in the public school, and have to adhere to all the requirements, and schedule set by the school.

This is not home schooling.



Home schooling is where the parents, and students decide together what curriculum, books, and materials they would like to use.

You choose the method of instruction that fits the student best, set your own goals, and a schedule to achieve these goals without any guidance, or interference of the school system.

For the laws and requirements for each state go to http://www.hslda.org/

For information on what home schooling is visit:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/



What your friend is referring too is what we call doing school @ home.

Unless there are reasons for doing so the school will most likely not agree to it, unless they have an on-line program available in your school district that gives you the option to do so.
My school district offers this option to homeschooling parents, and you do not have to enroll your children in their school(s) or follow their instructions. I have never chosen this option, however, but the following is posted on our school district website:



http://www.oism.cps.k12.il.us/programs_h鈥?/a>



I suppose every school system is different, but I don't think most of them allow you to borrow textbooks without some type of public school enrollment status or obligation on your part.
Some districts will loan out text books, but others will not. According to the paperwork we had to read and fill out when we started homeschooling, my state is not obligated to help homeschoolers in any way, shape, or form. And I have learned that in my district, it depends on who you talk to as to whether or not they will loan out books. The middle school math teacher wouldn't even return my calls, but the preschool teacher opened up her office to me and let me look through everything she had and loaned me quite a few resources.
  • philosophy
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment