Friday, February 10, 2012

Do I need college textbooks for the first week of classes?

I don't have the cash to front for textbooks for the upcoming Fall semester, and the financial aid check disbursement is on Friday of the first week of the semester.



Am I expected to have the textbooks when I show up to class the first week?Do I need college textbooks for the first week of classes?
No. It is a good idea not to buy textbooks before you go to the first class session. You may decide not to take the class. The professor may state which books should be purchased and which can just as well be used in the library.



Professors usually put all the assigned books on "two-hour reserve" in the college library. This means that the books can be checked out for two-hour use inside the library. You can get by for the first week by using the books in the library.
You should buy used college textbooks at GreenTextbooks.com - Saving the Planet One Textbook at a Time GreenTextbooks.com is your online leader for finding used textbooks, DVDs, CDs. http://www.GreenTextbooks.com

Report Abuse

Do I need college textbooks for the first week of classes?
Not necessarily, in most of my classes I didn't need them until the second time we met. Like others have said though if you are taking a math class you will definitely need it then (just explain to your teacher and I'm sure they will understand). If you don't want to buy books I would recommend chegg.com it is so much cheaper. I love going to www.chegg.com and renting textbooks for cheap and saving 5% by using this code CC106371Do I need college textbooks for the first week of classes?
You might, but it's not like you'll get in trouble or anything if you don't. The professors don't really care if you have the books or not - that's why *you* have to buy them. Try to make some friends as quickly as possible; explain that you can't afford your books yet, and ask to study with them/borrow their books until you have the money.



Look online for cheap books, too, on sites like Amazon and half.com. Maybe rent some of the more expensive ones from Chegg.com.
i had gone through the same thing.

Sometimes you are not given any assignments on the first day of class, but if you are I would suggest using your school library they always have textbooks for students to use. You can do that until your money comes in.
it shouldn't be a problem at all. it might even be better because a lot of the times the textbook is completely unnecessary for the course. i've taken classes for which i never opened the books but got A's in.
Not necessarily...depends on the class or if another student will study with you....math classes, yes, you will need the book immediately
Yes homework starts right away and therefore you will need your books. This isn't high school.
To answer your question, I think you definitely could use a library textbook at school for the first week, keep in mind thought that there might be many other students, that do not buy the textbook in advance, and the professor usually only puts 2 textbooks on hold for his students. You could also explain your situation to one of your classmates and try sharing their textbook with them, until you get the check for textbooks. If you know who your professor will be, I recommend you asking the professor what textbooks you will be using for the semester. In case you already received your syllabus, which I doubt since you usually get it on the first day of class, but in case any of your professor鈥檚 have emailed it to you it should say on it what textbook you will need for the semester in question. I personally like and recommend getting the textbooks early so that you will not have to wait for them when the semester begins. But you definitely should not stress about not having them during the first week, just use the library, which is what I probably would do. You could also personally talk to the professor, explain your situation and maybe he would have an extra book that you could borrow for that first week until you get your check鈥?



Here are some other options on how you can save some extra money on your textbooks...



1. You could buy the textbooks on Amazon; I used to and still do, when tbookxchange.com does not pull through. This is probably one of the best websites for most of your purchases, especially books, since they are very cheap, and have a 30 day refund... http://www.amazon.com/?tag=tbookx-20



2. You could also look into TbookXchange.com and exchange your used textbooks for other textbooks. I recently signed up for http://www.TbookXchange.com which seems to be a relatively new, free textbook exchange service. All I did was create an account, add the books I needed to my need list, my old textbooks to my have list, (make sure you add textbooks to both lists otherwise they are not able to find you a possible exchange), and if there are any possible exchanges, (which unfortunately does not happen every time, yet), It helps me to save some extra money from not needing to buy a new text book. If it does not work out for you this time, it might do so next time, who knows??? I have to say that I have worked up quite a collection on old text books from many of my previous years, since I am a senior right now. I do wish this website would have started a bit sooner...



3. Also see http://www.half.com has cheap textbooks for sale鈥?I have bought some of my textbooks here as well...



4. http://www.chegg.com might also be a good solution for you, I have not had the opportunity to use their services myself, but I have heard from classmates that they rent you the textbook for a good price.



However, have in mind, that in case you are renting a textbook have in mind that sometimes professors may use the same Textbook throughout several classes. Some professors use the same textbooks, and some do not. In one of my introductory classes I bought a textbook that later found itself useful for my next level course, since the professors used the same textbook. But most of the time you probably will not use the same textbook for the next class. I believe you could probably research which professor uses what textbook and maybe choose your professors based on that, which also could save you some extra money, if this is something that would be important to you. Here is a website that might help you a bit, when it comes to choosing a professor, http://www.ratemyprofessors.com . This website has been and still is a good tool for me when I register for my classes.



5. In case you prefer going to a real store to make your purchases. Here is a website that I recently found for one of the other questions that I responded to. It is a rated website for several in-store bookstores in many different areas, just search by the city and state in the top corner of the site鈥?http://www.insiderpages.com/search/searc鈥?/a> I have to say that I have not been in a in-store bookstore for a while now, so I really do not know of any cheap ones or good ones, but hopefully these ratings will work out. I usually either exchange or buy all my textbooks online.



Hope this gives you some options to work with... Good Luck with your decision... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment