Thursday, January 26, 2012

What are the best college textbooks for Physics?

I've developed a strong interest for physics and want to read some college-level textbooks of it in my spare time. What, in your opinion, are the BEST (no second-best; I want ones that thoroughly explain concepts) college textbooks for physics? Thanks!What are the best college textbooks for Physics?
I'm a physicist, so... maybe I can help you.



If what you want is to understand concepts, then I wouldn't go with anything other than the Feynman Lectures on Physics. The books are that, conceptual physics, which means, you won't see a single solved problem in there. Particularly, these are my favorites when I need to truly understand the behavior of something. Unfortunately, these books won't help me to know how to solve problems. They are NOT meant for that. Of course, in recent years they held out a problem supplement for the lectures, so if you buy the whole kit, then you should be fine lol...



If what you want is problem-solving along with the theory somewhat explained (with no mathematical formality, just intuitive formality), then the best are the Resnick-Halliday or Sears-Zemansky. To be perfectly honest, they are pretty much the same, there is no real "best choice".



For problems in Dynamics, i go with the Resnick, problems in Electromagnetism, I go with the Sears. Understand a concept, I go with the Feynman (yeah, i bought all those, Sears, resnick, feynman.. and MANY MANY others...) : )



Hope this helps.
The best physics textbooks you'll find are usually filled with mathematics/physics jargon, that unless you've taken the appropriate classes for them, then you won't understand what you're reading. Besides, if you really want a good grasp at physics, all you really need is a solid foundation of knowing the basic laws of physics. Everything else in physics is pretty much a derivation of the basic laws.



If you're just starting out, go get yourself a copy of Physics for Dummies. If you're in college, then take an entry-level physics class.What are the best college textbooks for Physics?
I study Wiley's Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick Halliday and Walker. I also refer Pearson Education University Physics by Sears and ZeemanskyWhat are the best college textbooks for Physics?
Try to get Berkley Physics Course

Also Feynman's Lectures on Physics(three Volumes)

Ivan
if u are from india....or if Concepts of Physics vol 1 and 2 by H.C. Verma Prof. IIT Kanpur is available at a book store near u....i recommend it strongly

No comments:

Post a Comment