Thursday, January 26, 2012

COLLEGE STUDENTS: How much would you pay to be able to rent your textbooks at a library?

I'm considering starting a "library" near my college, where students would pay a semester membership for the ability to come in any time and study. I would have all the textbooks, in large enough quantities so that you always have an available book. It would be a nice studying atmosphere with study rooms, tables, desks, computers, printers/scanners, etc, all included.



How much would you pay for such a service? Please consider that you would not have to buy any textbooks. I welcome any suggestions.COLLEGE STUDENTS: How much would you pay to be able to rent your textbooks at a library?
well, i'm not sure if you can actually rent textbooks from a library, but there is this website called chegg.com that allows you to rent textbooks for relatively cheap.

hope this helps.
I would suggest renting online at GreenTextbooks.com - Saving the Planet One Textbook at a Time

With GreenTextbooks.com you're not only saving trees, you are saving some green.

http://www.GreenTextbooks.com

Report Abuse

COLLEGE STUDENTS: How much would you pay to be able to rent your textbooks at a library?
You can also used http://www.TextbookAce.com

Report Abuse

COLLEGE STUDENTS: How much would you pay to be able to rent your textbooks at a library?
I would not rent textbooks as it is easier to get better grades if I mark them up and textbooks cost much less than tuition, room or board.



I don't want to tell you how to run your business, but when you consider the investment in inventory, the frequent publication of new editions, and your general operating expenses of rent, utilities, computers, etc., I do not see how you could possibly make a profit, especially in comparison with the returns which you could make on your capital in the stock and commodities markets.
what if i needed to take my book to class?

what if i could use my book on a open book open note test?

what if the library was closing, and I need to take by book home to study?



there are millions of different types of college books on campus. Not to mention, it would be hard to get a hold of every single book on campus. colleges already have 3 or more bookstores on campus. plus when people buy there books, they can return them and make money. if you are on a scholarship and get book money, that is even better.



the renting book part is not a good idea in my opinion, but i like the idea of a library to study with computers print and desks.



but if I had to say, I would say $100 per semester
Less than $100 a year and I would be really mad if I ever came in and there wasn't a book for me to use.

The future is going to be e-books. I buy all my books in e-book form now. They are way better than the traditional ones. I can find anything I want in 2 seconds.
considering that there are 12 libraries already on my school's campus, not to mention a myriad of public libraries within driving or even walking distance, all where I can get books for free, and which already stock all the books that are used at my school...and also where i can go and study for free.... why would I want to pay for the same thing??



I think you have an interesting idea, though, but just speaking my own opinion, it doesn't sound profitable. I don't think a membership is a good idea, but if you do it would have to be less than the cost of a textbook, or else people would just want to buy the book and bypass you altogether...I would set it around $50. I can't imagine that many people would join to cover the costs, and even if they did, you'd have to have a pretty big space to fit them all. you'll have to pay rent on a space, as well as buying thousands of books, and then re-buying them every couple years...even book publishing companies barely make enough profit off of textbooks, so how are you going to do it?



thirdly, you should probably think about supplementing your service with a coffee bar and some pastries. College kids will go out of their way for coffee :P

No comments:

Post a Comment